WIP / Update: Demag CC 5800

Written by TJ on June 13th, 2014

Progress on the CC5800 has been slow. I had intentions to work hard through Feb. and Mar. and have a first draft completed by about the end of March.

Well, life got in the way, and I hardly did any building from Feb. through April. I started hitting it hard in May, and I’ve been building on a regular basis since.


click for larger image

Last night was the first full assembly test of all the components I’ve built to date. Everything fit together well. The crane is surprisingly HEAVY.

It seemed sturdy, but I have yet to put any real load on it.


click for larger image

I’m going to show it at Brick Fiesta in early July finished or not. The reality is that it won’t be completely finished… and that’s okay. I at least have enough of it together to make a good show.

Over the next few weeks I will build more boom sections and also fully rig the boom and block with line. I have the electronics (controls and batteries) sourced, and I will also try to install it to give the crane some functionality.

But again, the reality is that I’ve run out of time, and I do not have the time to properly test and revise and rebuild things should they not work the first time around. I already know I’m going to have some issues. I tried powering the slewing motors last night, and they did not have enough power to continuously rotate the superstructure.

Despite all this, I am very pleased to have made it to this stage :-) The work will continue….

Comments are closed.