Welcome 2011 – NewsWritten by TJ on January 12th, 2011
A belated Happy New Year to you all! There are several things I’d like to announce and highlight:
Brick Fiesta: The first ever AFOL (adult fan of LEGO®) convention in the southern US is coming soon. Brick Fiesta will be held in Austin, Texas starting on June 30, 2011 and will run through July 3. TexLUG (the Texas LEGO® Users Group; my home-state LUG) is presenting this event. I will be there as a displayer of MOCs and also as a volunteer to help with the convention.
My Building Desk: The modifications and “upgrades” (that I previously mentioned) are done. I worked on it slowly through December, particularly during the Christmas break, but it’s finally complete.
And it’s awesome. I finally have an efficient, well organized build area. And no photos I’ll get some up soon.
Various Projects: Seems like I always have multiple projects sitting around waiting for completion. Well, I decided to scrap some and finally pick up old ones and work on them.
• Crane Project: This started years ago as a study of some new ideas on heavy-duty designs for large cranes. I’ve decided to scrap the turntable design completely (instead of just revising it) and start a new one. This will be a long-term project that may not get finished for a long while (that should be a disclaimer on every project of mine
• UP 844: Last year my family and I saw the Union Pacific heritage 844 steam locomotive (a 4-8-4) roll through town. Shortly after, I became greatly inspired and bought a set of BBB XL drivers. This project is only about 30-40% complete, and I finally picked it up last weekend and worked on it. I’m hoping to get it done in a month or so. It will be PF (LEGO® Power Functions).
• Trees: I recently built a large tree and fixed (or nearly so) the issue of the leaf elements falling off. This involves using very short pieces of flex tubing where leaf elements join together. I plan on re-doing all my previously built trees. Photos to come soon.
• Trains: Aside from the 844 MOC, I’m still very much interested in building new train stock. I’m not sure what I want to do just yet, but I do need more rolling stock as well as revision of my existing MOCs. For example, I’d like to re-do my UP diesel MOC to make it PF compatible. We’ll see… This is low-priority at the moment.
• Something Big: I’m set on building something new and quite large for Brick Fiesta. I’m not sure what it will be. Perhaps the results of the crane project? Perhaps something else?